A while back, I was having some major digestive issues. When I would eat, I would feel unwell in my stomach - no matter what the food was, and I would have cramps in my intestines - some foods causing worse cramps than others (Corn/wheat). I tried so many things to help, but nothing seemed to ease the discomfort. I started avoiding certain foods, but eventually almost everything caused discomfort, and it got to the point that I dreaded eating, and stop eating a variety of foods. I knew that wasn't healthy, but it seemed that almost everything was making me sick!
Then I was introduced to 3 things: essential oils, probiotics and enzymes. To say these were lifesavers is an understatement! I will never be without them again!! I'll discuss essential oils and probiotics in another post - today I am going to focus on enzymes.
So what are enzymes?
- Enzymes are a type of protein that creates a chemical reaction to break down food, destroy toxins, and even build muscles.
- Enzymes are sensitive to heat, disease/illness, pH, and chemicals/medications - meaning they are easily destroyed.
- Enzymes are produced in the mouth(salivary glands), stomach, pancreas, and small intestine mainly.
- Enzymes are present in raw, organic fruits, vegetables, and grains.
Why do we need enzymes?
- Lack of enzymes (both in diet and those produced by the body) leads to fermentation and putrefaction of undigested food. This rotting material gets into the bloodstream and can cause a wide variety of health issues.
- As we age, our body's enzyme production is reduced, leading to less than optimal digestion
- Raw/fermented foods and supplements with enzymes ease stress on the body by reducing the workload and energy needed for digestion
My blogs contain some affiliate links.
Any purchase made is a blessing to my family at no extra cost to you!
Thank you for supporting us!